Tuesday, July 31, 2007

Power Out

It is 11:11 p.m. at night. I have waited patiently for the power to be restored for nearly two hours now. I am not a happy camper. I was knee-deep in the show, “Sixteen Kids and Moving” on TLC about Jim Bob and Michelle Duggar when the power cut-out abruptly. I was disappointed. Because I do so love Jim Bob and Michelle. If anyone should have 16 kids it’s these folks. I am so sick of the trash-talking I’ve heard about them. Everyone wants to talk about how they are crazy or too religious. I say, “Who the eff cares?” They have this big-family stuff down to an art form and those of us who only have a ¼ of the kids they do (me), can learn a lot from them. And that’s just what Phil-Richard and Jen-Dawn (us) were trying to do. But PG&E screwed our gig all up.

The thing I love best about Michelle is that she is real. She’s Christian but not preachy. She never makes a mention (that I’ve heard) about why the girls only wear dresses and skirts. I just noticed that tonight and wouldn’t have if not for an informative viewing of Wife Swap in which the conservative Christian parents wouldn’t let their daughters wear pants and made sure all of America (or those who were watching) knew why.

Michelle is a real kid-oriented type of person (well, duh, she has 16 of them). I always wanted to be a kid-oriented person. But frankly, most days I am not even sure I like my own kids, and I sure as shit am not interested in anyone else’s. I’m sorry. I’m more of a cat-dog-koala bear-alpaca-monkey person. But little kids do annoying shit and then their adults say, “Oh isn’t that cute?” Well, now that you ask, NO it isn’t cute. Being a shithead isn’t cute. Being a brat is 180 from cute. Which is why my children have a huge burden to carry.

Skyler, who has the good taste to follow in the steps of mom’s dry wit, is honestly critiqued if his joke is lame. I will tell him, “Um, that wasn’t as funny as you thought. Try again.” And damn if that boy can’t reduce me to tears of laughter on his next try.

So really, the only kids I want to know anything about are my own. And I kinda have to listen to that crap. It’s, like, a job requirement.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home